Calderdale Council should be a fulfilling and enjoyable place to work; we know this enthusiasm rubs off on our residents and customers, and we also recognise the crucial role each and every one of us plays in helping to achieve our goals. By demonstrating our core values and behaviours, you will lead by example to help us create the next generation of public services.
The Practice Educator Consultant (PEC) role is intended to build statutory placement capacity within Local Authority’s, improve support to Practice Educators and to operate as partnership role, bridging organisational boundaries between social work employers (local authorities) and universities. This role will have parity across both Children’s and Adult’s service and is our commitment to the Teaching Partnership. PECs will be familiar with the assessment and intervention methods that students will use in their practice settings, act as a champion for practice education, promote best practice, support other Practice Educators (PE’s) throughout the agency, contribute to teaching on the PE programmes, facilitate practice learning sessions for students and increase the Teaching Partnership’s capacity to deliver statutory placements. As such, PECs are key to implementing the Teaching Partnerships vision to build a workforce of well trained, competent, and confident social workers who can meet the challenges of practice. The PEC role is instrumental in providing seamless coordination for student placements, Practice Educators and Practice Educator mentors.
|Application deadline||9th June 2022|
|Salary||£PO8 – 11, SCP34 – 37, £30,738 - £33,160 per annum (actual salary)|
As the role is relatively established there has been further development and opportunity to embed and shape the role around local and partnership priorities:
- Leading on development and delivery of a revised employer endorsed ASYE programme.
- PEC able to directly Practice Supervise students from other qualifying routes on placement with Calderdale, including Step Up and candidates completing the Social Work Degree Apprenticeship.
- Practice based lead for development of further practice placement opportunities across social care.
- Take responsibility across the organisation for the development and implementation of good practice and innovative ways of working, taking into account current research. Provide specialist knowledge and advice to students and to local authority practice educators / prospective practice educators.
- Practice Educator development: Assist PE’s to develop their own reflective and problem-solving skills in complex cases and to develop these skills in the students that they lead and support PE’s throughout their training programme, and manage the feedback processes.
- Relationship and Stakeholder management: Develop awareness of practice education across the local authority, including making presentations to different audiences or offering training on specific aspects of practice education and link with designated workforce development staff in order to deliver consistent and effective placement experience and opportunities.
Applicants must have successfully completed The Stage 2 Practice Educator Award and have recent experience of practice education.
If you wish to discuss the post before applying, you can contact Yasmeen Akhtar on 01422 393943.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff to share this commitment. Applicants to posts that are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act will require a DBS from the Disclosure and Barring Service before the appointment is confirmed.
Calderdale Council embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and we are committed to providing an environment that is inclusive. We encourage applications from people who share our commitment to challenge inequality and promote diversity across Calderdale. We particularly welcome applications from communities that are currently under-represented in our organisation, including Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic applicants.
How to apply
Apply online: Apply now