Social work degree coursesSocial work degree courses

To become a social worker you will need to study a three-year undergraduate degree or a two-year postgraduate degree in social work that is approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). You will also need to pass background checks by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

Within Yorkshire and the Humber we’re lucky to have a wealth of courses within our universities and colleges where you can undertake your social work degree and training.

Entry requirements

You will typically need the following qualifications in order to study for an undergraduate degree in social work:

  • five GCSEs (A-C) including English and maths
  • at least two A levels, or an equivalent qualification such as a BTEC National Diploma or NVQ Level 3 in Health and Social Care.

You should check entry requirements, as colleges and universities may accept alternatives like an Access to Higher Education or substantial relevant work experience (paid or voluntary).

If you already have a degree, you could do a two-year postgraduate Masters degree in social work.

When you apply for social work training, you should ideally already have some paid or voluntary experience in a social work or care setting.

Step Up to Social Work in 2016/17

Step Up to Social Work is an intensive full-time, fully funded, training programme that could see you start a career as a social worker in just 14 months. Challenging yet hugely rewarding, it’s your fast track to making a real difference in people’s lives.

Find out moreNote: applications for 2016/17 have now closed.


As part of your social work training, you will have the opportunity to do a placement. They are an essential part of gaining a practical insight into what a social worker does. Placements will enable you to put the skills you’ve learnt into practice in the real world.

Social worker placements are supported by local authorities, as well as provided directly by your university or college. They can vary in length depending on the Higher Educational Institute, but guidelines suggest that they cover 200 days in practice.

Universities and colleges in our region

Bradford College social work courses

More info

Leeds Beckett University

More info

Sheffield Hallam University

More info

University of Bradford

More info

University of Huddersfield

More info

University of Hull

More info

University of Leeds

More info

University of Sheffield

More info

University of York

More info